Considering Adoption? FAQs

Can I receive financial assistance during my pregnancy?
Yes, Indiana law allows financial assistance from the adoptive parents for birth mothers beginning in the second trimester until six weeks after birth.

What if I have medical expenses from the pregnancy not covered by insurance.  Can I get help with the payment of those expenses.?

Uninsured medical expense may be paid by the adoptive parents.

Can I receive counseling after the baby is born?

Yes, Heartland Adoption Agency will work with you to set up counseling.  If the expense is not covered by insurance it may be paid by the adoptive parents.

Explain the difference between an open and closed adoption?
In closed adoptions the birth mother has no contact with the adoptive parents or child after the consent for adoption has been signed and sometimes does not even meet the adoptive parents.  When an adoption is considered “open”, there is usually some contact between the adoptive parents and the birth mother after the adoptoin.  Many times the contact is periodic updates and pictures from the adoptive family to the birth mother.  Sometimes visits are allowed.  The terms of an open adoption are worked out between the birth mother and the adoptive parents. 

Do I get to choose the adoptive parents and meet them in advance of the birth?
Yes, we encourage all our adoptive parents and birth mother to establish a relationship prior to the birth of the child.  We also encourage the adoptive parents to attend OB appointments, if the birth mother is agreeable, and to talk about expectations in the hospital when the baby is born and the naming of the baby. 

Do I get a lawyer to represent me?
Yes, if you wish to have a lawyer represent you, the fees may be paid by the adoptive parents.

Can a family member (parent, sibling, etc.) adopt my child with me retaining my rights?
Under Indiana law this is possible. However, if you are involved with the Department of Child Services regarding other children, this may not be possible. All adoptive parents have to pass background checks and often home studies are required.

If is possible to keep the Department of Child Services from getting involved with my pregnancy?
If you have an adoption plan at time your child is born, then the Department of Child Services should not interfer with your pregnancy.  

How do I keep the father from finding out?
Under Indiana law, the father must preserve his rights to the baby and the mother does not have to disclose the father’s name, if known, to the adoptive parents or their attorneys.

Does the father have to consent to the adoption?
Only husband’s need to consent to the adoption.  If you are not married, the father’s consent is not necessary but preferred if he is willing to consent.  

I want to keep my baby but cannot take care of it right now, what do I do?
You may be able to set up a guardianship with family or friends.

I already had my baby but now realize I can’t take care of it.  Is it too late to place my child for adoption?

No, you may place your child for adoption after the baby is born and discharged from the hospital.  If the baby is less than six weeks old, you may also be able to receive assistance with expenses from the adoptive family.  There are many family wishes to adopt and not all family want a newborn baby.